At the Elementary School level, the school counselors focus Career Awareness. From an early age, we want our students to make connections between their schooling and their future. To this end, the following are yearly activities:
- All district elementary students in fourth grade will visit the Lebanon CTC. Counselors will provide all 4th grade parents with information about the CTC in conjunction with this student field trip.
- Elementary counselors present information to parents about Act 339 and the district K-12 school counselor program at various times throughout the year, including Kindergarten bus ride night, open house, parent conferences, kindergarten orientation, and PTO meetings. Information will also be presented through the development of a “Counselor Corner” within the school newsletter.
- Elementary counselors help facilitate a district wide “Career Day.” On this day, all the schools within the district will invite representatives from outside the school (parents, friends, relatives, post-secondary people, military people, business owners, etc.) to present to students the work that they do, and to provide information to students about post-secondary opportunities.
- Elementary counselors help educate other staff members about the various post-secondary options available to students. This is accomplished at regularly scheduled staff meetings and/or grade level meetings.
- Elementary counselors facilitate use of a computer based career exploration and/or survey with all fourth and fifth grade students. This is accomplished in conjunction with their computer specials class.
- Elementary counselors facilitate the development of a sparks/interests, strengths assessment, and beginnings of a career portfolio for all 5th grade students. This portfolio "travels" with each student to the middle school in order to help promote the continuity of the CLSD K-12 comprehensive counselor program.